Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quick sloppy joes and mac&cheese

Sorry for the delay. I was sooo slacking. I wish I could promise that was the only time that I will do it but we all know better.

So, Let's get started.

This meal was Quick sloppy joes and Mac&Cheese.

I will start with the ingredients.

We have 3 lb hamburger. (not pictured, as was still thawing)
Black pepper
tomato paste
ground mustard
rotini
cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese
Velveeta cheese
paprika
Worcestershire sauce
french cut green beans
honey
soy sauce.
milk(not pictured)
butter(not pictured)

I add the spies to the meat before I brown the meat. I feel it give so much flavor to the meat that way. So I add the paprika, ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and the black pepper to the meat. Then brown it.

After that is done I add the tomato paste. I used two cans. Then a couple table spoons honey for a little sweetness.


It looks like this when done.


You can add bell peppers or onion if you wish. i sometimes add garlic too.
But there you have a quick and easy sloppy joe.

Now on the mac&cheese.

I boil the noodles according to the package directions. Drain then place into the casserole dish.


Then In a medium sauce pan I melt a stick of butter. then add about 2 cups milk. Let it get bubbling. Then add the cheeses. I added whatever I had in the fridge honestly. Which was cheddar, mozzarella, and Velveeta. Let it melt. I then add some spices to it. Like the ground mustard and paprika and black pepper.

STIR FREQUENTLY!

Seriously. Not a fun pan to clean if you don't.

If it does not thicken to your liking you can add cornstarch or flour. a couple tablespoons should do it.

An aside. never add powdered ingredients to a boiling liquid. It will get lumpy. Mix it with some water or milk. Just a little. Just enough to make it a liquid.

It should look like this when done.


See how it coats the spoon?

Then I add it to the noodles. Stir it in. should look like this.

Then this

I then top it with some shredded cheddar cheese. Will look like this.

or this

Bake at 350 degrees for as long as it takes to melt the top cheese.
should look like this


For the green beans I take a can or two. Dump them into a glass bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes.


My plate looked like this.



As a side note I like to use ronzoni brand pastas. They have extra nutrition packed into them. It's good for the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment