Sunday, August 28, 2011

French bread bowl

Hi, I decided to make breadbowls with my soup today.

Sounded yummy. Here is the Recipe.

Ingredients:
•2 ½ cups warm water
•3 tablespoons sugar
•2 packages dry active yeast
•1 tablespoon salt
•5 tablespoons oil
•6 cups all-purpose flour
Method:


Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric bread mixer, combine warm water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top and stir. Wait 10 minutes until yeast mixture is frothy. Add salt, oil, and half of the flour. Beat well in mixer or with a wooden spoon. Add remaining flour and mix well until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead 2 or 3 times to coat with flour. Divide into 8 to 10 equal parts, depending on size of bowls desired. Form into large balls and place in small foil pans (small pot pie pans work well). Allow dough bowls to rise for 20 minutes. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans. Cut off tops and hollow out insides. Serve with soup.
Makes 8 to 10 bowls.

This recipe was found HERE


So, Let's start.

First I put the lukewarm water in my mixer and added the sugar. Ten I went to get my yeast. The yeast was not where I left it last so I ran around in a foul mood looking for it for 30 minutes. After it was found my cabinets were is better order and I was in a foul mood.

By the time I was ready to add the yeast My water was too cold. Ss, I dumped it out and Started over.

This is the yeast mixture after I mixed it.

And here it is after 10 minutes.


Looks almost the same right? IIn real life it looked a bit bigger and more bubbles. My crappy photography skills cannot highlight this.

Then I added the Salt and Oil. I used pure olive oil. I would have used extra vergin olive oil but mother wanted to go to the store for me. (more issues with this in the Amaretto cupcake, (next blog))

Then added the 3 cups flour. I used bread flour. As it gives the best rise.
Again sorry for the crappy photography. But here is the dough at that stage.

And this is after the rest of the flour is added.

I then kneaded it a couple times on a floured cutting board. Flattened it out a bit. I forgot to take pictures. Probably because my hands were gross. I used a steak knife and cut it into 8 sections.

I then rolled them into balls and placed on cookie sheets. 2 per sheet because I did not want sides touching. A little overkill. you can do 3. I let it rise for 20 minutes. then baked them.

Here they are unbaked.



It took less time to bake than the recipe says. Like 8 minutes shrter than the recipe says.


Here it is nice and baked.


After they have cooled I cut the top off them.

See

I then used my fingers to hollow it out.

They got to be about a knuckle deep.

I filled them with a chicken pot pie soup. I had made it earlier this month when I made chicken pot pie. I froze it.

Here is the finished product.


yum!

Was a bit of work but not too much. Would do again.

The flavor and texture was perfect.

I used the insides to go into my overnight french toast casserole. (coming soon)

Hope you enjoyed this.


No comments:

Post a Comment