Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Butter beer cupcakes.


OK, I bake a lot because it is fun for me. I also post on Face book about said baking and cooking. Well my friend Jess, has stated I needed to start a food blog. So yeah. (you can see her blog here BTW)

I will start with my adventure of two days ago. I made butter-beer cupcakes. Yes I do like harry potter, and yes I went to Orlando on my honeymoon and had the butter-beer at Universal studios.

I have a pintrest board and I had the boys choose a recipe they wanted to eat off my dessert board. (Gratuitous link to my pintrest board)

For some reason the link to the blog that had the recipe is not working today. Here is it BTW. (if you have not noticed I like to hide my links in the action words.)

Since my previous cupcake making skills result in absolutely yummy foods, yet look like I let the boys decorate them, my dear husband bought me my first pastry bag and tips. I am quite proud of how pretty they turned out.

Here is the cupcakes after they came out of the oven.


Here they are after I frosted them.


Here they are after I added the gauche. (think that is spelled incorrectly?)




They are fun to make. They taste great. My 8 year old stepson says, "If I had ten hands I would give you ten thumbs up" They did last the night because they are super rich. but were gone by lunchtime the next day. And yeah they taste a lot like the butter beer.

I had a lot of the ganache leftover. My husband loves butterscotch so he had been using that on ice cream.

Here is the recipe for those that are interested.


Makes 18 Cupcakes

Ingredients For Cupcakes:

* 2 cups flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
* 3 large eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 1/2 cup cream soda


Ingredients For Ganache:

* 1 11-oz. package butterscotch chips
* 1 cup heavy cream


Ingredients for Butterbeer Frosting:

* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/3 cup butterscotch genache
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 16-oz. package powdered sugar
* splash of milk or cream (as needed)



Directions for Cupcakes:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F.

Step 2: Line the bottom of cupcake tins with paper liners.

Step 3: In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

Step 4: In a different mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugars and beat until well combined. Beat in eggs (one at a time) and mix well after each addition, then mix in vanilla and butter flavorin.

Step 5: Alternate adding buttermilk, cream soda and dry ingredients in batches until all ingredients are well incorporated.

Step 6: Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full and bake for 15-17 minutes until a tester toothpick is inserted into the center of cupcake and comes out cleanly.

Step 7: Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.


Directions for Ganache:

Step 1: In a double boiler (heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove), combine butterscotch chips and heavy cream and stir until completely combined and smooth.

Step 2: Cool completely to room temperature.

Step 3: Pour ganache into a squeeze bottle and use tip of squeeze bottle to insert tip into center of cupcake and squeeze ganach into cupcake until filling begins to overflow.


Directions for Buttercream Frosting:

Step 1: Cream butter in a large bowl until fluffy.

Step 2: Add in genache, vanilla, butter flavoring, and salt and mix until well combined.

Step 3: Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until reaching desired consistency. Add milk or cream by the Tablespoon as needed.

Step 4: Frost cupcakes and top with a drizzle of remaining butterscotch ganache.

(The recipe was totally copied and pasted from MuggleNet)




No comments:

Post a Comment