Since I have upped my exercise I have found myself more hungry than I used to be. I have decided to combat that today by baking. Sounds silly right? It is more calories burned and I don't have to eat what I have baked. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.
I have also found that while I feel hungry more it takes less to satisfy me. Awesomeness right?
So I saw some sweetbread recipes on pintrest and decided I wanted to make bread. I did not like the recipes I found. they contained ingredients I did not have like lemon zest or way too much of what I have like 12 eggs.
I did finally find a wonderful little recipe for braided sweet bread. It looked amazing. And it looked like what I wanted. So I made it.
Here is the recipe.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1 package dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour (use more to knead)
- 1 beaten egg
- Mix together water, warm milk, and yeast.
- Add melted margarine, sugar, salt and flour.
- Knead dough, place in bowl, cover and let rise in warm place 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 6 parts.
- Shape dough into 6 long pieces (length of baking sheet).
- On baking sheet, braid 3 of the pieces together like you would hair, then braid remaining 3 piecestogether.
- Cover and let raise 1 more hour.
- Brush beaten egg on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
So I combined the milk into a pot with the water. I set this to warm.
While that happened I combined the sugar salt and flour.
I then added the yeast to the milk and water mixture. I took a pic while the mixer was going.
Then I added the margarine.
Then the flour sugar& salt mixture.
It seemed a little too tacky still so I added another half cup of flour. then I set it to rest all covered.
This is what it looked like inside the bowl.
Please forgive me I forgot to take pics after it rose and the whole braiding process.
I rolled it out and it was really easy like working with playdoh.
Here it is all braided.
Then i beat an egg. (it was naughty) and brushed it on the bread.
It's all shiney!
Then I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes.
I forgot to take a picture after it came right out of the oven.
I did frost it with some cream cheese frosting while it was still hot.
The verdict. Was super easy to make. (I say that a lot) Smells wonderful. Tastes better.
I think next time I might add raisins or other fruit. I may even braid in some cherry pie filling.