Monday, October 10, 2011

Braided Sweet Bread.

Hi!

Since I have upped my exercise I have found myself more hungry than I used to be. I have decided to combat that today by baking.  Sounds silly right? It is more calories burned and I don't have to eat what I have baked. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I have also found that while I feel hungry more it takes less to satisfy me. Awesomeness right?

So I saw some sweetbread recipes on pintrest and decided I wanted to make bread. I did not like the recipes I found. they contained ingredients I did not have like lemon zest or way too much of what I have like 12 eggs.

I did finally find a wonderful little recipe for braided sweet bread. It looked amazing. And it looked like what I wanted. So I made it.

Here is the recipe.

Directions:

  1. Mix together water, warm milk, and yeast.
     
  2. Add melted margarine, sugar, salt and flour.
     
  3. Knead dough, place in bowl, cover and let rise in warm place 1 hour.
     
  4. Divide dough into 6 parts.
     
  5. Shape dough into 6 long pieces (length of baking sheet).
     
  6. On baking sheet, braid 3 of the pieces together like you would hair, then braid remaining 3 pieces 
    together.
     
  7. Cover and let raise 1 more hour.
     
  8. Brush beaten egg on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

***

So I combined the milk into a pot with the water. I set this to warm.

While that happened I combined the sugar salt and flour.
And melted the margarine. Normally I would use Butter but it is what the recipe calls for....
In the meantime I had heated up the milk way too hot for yeast to live in. So I poured it into the mixing bowl and went and did some cleaning. When I came back it was the perfect temperature.


I then added the yeast to the milk and water mixture. I took a pic while the mixer was going.

Then I added the margarine.




Then the flour sugar& salt mixture.
This is the point where I started to forget I needed to take pictures. Sorry. Next time I make this I promise to come back and ass pictures of the steps I forgot.




It seemed a little too tacky still so I added another half cup of flour.  then I set it to rest all covered.





This is what it looked like inside the bowl.



Please forgive me I forgot to take pics after it rose and the whole braiding process.


I rolled it out and it was really easy like working with playdoh.



Here it is all braided.
I covered it and let it rise an hour.
Here it is an hour later.

Then i beat an egg. (it was naughty) and brushed it on the bread.



It's all shiney!

Then I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes.

I forgot to take a picture after it came right out of the oven.

I did frost it with some cream cheese frosting while it was still hot.
Looks good right?


***
The verdict. Was super easy to make. (I say that a lot) Smells wonderful. Tastes better.

I think next time I might add raisins or other fruit. I may even braid in some cherry pie filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment