Monday, October 3, 2011

Beautiful blueberry muffins

HI, Sorry I have not written in a while about food.

Today we are talking about blueberry muffins.

I found the recipe here. Looked great so I tried it.

Here is the recipe!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
  3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done. 
 
*****
So let's see me make it. 

First I added all the dry ingredients into my bowl. 



Then I added the oil to the 1 cup measuring cup. Weird right?
Then I added the egg. Then finally the milk. (Am I using the word then too much?)
looks blury  and gross.
I used the wonderful mixer. The dough was a little weird. Was very thick and shiney. 
Don't freak out when it is stiff and thick. It is supposed to be like that. 

I folded in the blueberries in with a spatula by hand. 
Those blueberries are HUGE. I don't know where my mother gets them but they are the size of grapes. 

Here is how they looked int heir muffin cups. 
I filled them to the top like the recipe said. 
 
Then I started the topping. 
I left the butter sitting out a few hours to make it easier to work with.  I added all ingredients together. 
Then mixes. No I did not bother to cube the butter. You are just going to mash it up anyways. Here is what it looks like halfway through.




And here it is done.

I took handfuls of it and topped the muffins. It seemed like a lot. And some fell on the pan. 


Baked them at 400 for 20 minutes. When I checked them they needed a little more time so I added another 5 minutes. to the bake time was 25 minutes. 
Here they are. 
 They look beautiful right?

Here is a view of one muffin. 
and
***
The verdict?

The were amazing. Tasted just like a bakery muffin. They did puff up like the recipe said they would. I totally recommend. 

I read some of the reviews on the website. Some people added buttermilk instead of milk and some left out the topping. Some used brown sugar in the topping. I will have to test these changes. I will report back each time I mess with it. 

I do want to remind everyone that blueberries are really really good for you. Like you need a reason to eat these muffins, but they are filled with antioxidants.  

Also this was super easy to make. I am currently sick and I still made them no issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment