Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chicken and Eggplant Parm

Last night's dinner was Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan. (is that spelled right?)

I meant to make this dish last weekend while my brother was visiting. But was too tired. So I get around to making it last night, and my eggplant was no longer good. I sent the husband out for another one.

To start I "sweated" the sliced eggplant. Totally a weird thing. You slice the eggplant and coat the cut sides with some salt and let sit in a bowl for a few minutes. It is supposed to get the bitterness out of the eggplant. You pat dry with paper towels. (we were out of paper towels and used dinner napkins lol)

Then I set up three bowls. One bowl flour. One bowl several eggs beaten. One bowl Panko breading.

Panko is superior to breadcrumbs for breading. It come out crunchier. You can get Italian herb and Parmesan flavor.

I prefer to do a double flour breading then bread in panko. First I dip into the flour then give an egg bath. lather rinse repeat...... then into the panko.

I had my husband do the frying for me because I was tired and good at guilting him.
A little vegetable oil in a pan and have it in there enough for a nice golden brown. be careful to not have it too hot or it will burn fast!

Do not worry about the chicken being uncooked still as baking will be the next step.

After the frying is done I put a layer or marinara in a casserole dish and layer the eggplant or chicken. I do separate dishes for eggplant and chicken, as the chicken needs to bake for longer.



On top of the chicken and eggplant I layer some mozzarella and some Parmesan. I then bake at 400 until the meat thermometer says it is done.

I also made rotini and Marinara. Some store bought frozen garlic bread and some mozzarella bites.






Everyone was soo full.

The best part.....I put half my chicken and eggplant in a freezer bag before baking for a wonderful less stress meal later this month.


Sorry for the crappy pictures, I forgot to take pictures halfway through and I promise to get better. I am new to this I really should take pictures throughout the entire process thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment